Twelve Concepts of Service
1. The ultimate responsibility and authority for Al-Anon world services belongs to
the Al-Anon groups.
2. The Al-Anon Family Groups have delegated complete administrative and
operational authority to their Conference and its service arms.
3. The right of decision makes effective leadership possible.
4. Participation is the key to harmony.
5. The rights of appeal and petition protect minorities and insure that they be heard.
6. The Conference acknowledges the primary administrative responsibility of the
7. The Trustees have legal rights while the rights of the Conference are traditional.
8. The Board of Trustees delegates full authority for routine management of
Al-Anon Headquarters to its executive committees.
9. Good personal leadership at all service levels is a necessity. In the field of world
service the Board of Trustees assumes the primary leadership.
10. Service responsibility is balanced by carefully defined service authority and
double-headed management is avoided.
11. The World Service Office is composed of selected committees, executives and
12. The spiritual foundation for Al-Anon's world services is contained in the General
Warranties of the Conference, Article 12 of the Charter.
General Warranties of the Conference
In all proceedings the World Service Conference of Al-Anon shall observe the spirit of the Traditions:
1. that only sufficient operating funds, including an ample reserve, be its prudent
2. that no Conference member shall be placed in unqualified authority over other
3. that all decisions be reached by discussion vote and whenever possible by
4. that no Conference action ever be personally punitive or an incitement to public
5. that though the Conference serves Al-Anon it shall never perform any act of
government; and that like the fellowship of Al-Anon Family Groups which it
serves, it shall always remain democratic in thought and action.
Al-Anon’s Twelve Concepts of Service, copyright 1996 by Al-Anon Family Group Headquarters, Inc.
Reprinted withpermission of Al-Anon Family Group Headquarters, Inc.